How to fly microlight in Czech Republic?
Terms of operation of the Sport Flying Devices (microlights)
in the Czech Republic.
Sport Flying Devices (further SFD) are classified as a specific airplane category in the Czech Republic.
The Czech Ministy of transportation authorized the „Letecká Amatérská Asociace (Light Aicraft Association) of the CR, Ke Kablu 289, Praha 10 – Hostivař, 102 00 CR“, by the administration and supervision of the SFD in the Czech Republic
Sport Flying devices - SFD are divided in following categories:
- Paragliders – PK
- Hanggliders – ZK
- UL aerodynamically controlled aeroplanes ULLa
- CG shift controlled aeroplanes – ULLt
- Powered paragliders – MPK
- Ul helicopters – ULH
- Powered UL autogyros – ULW
The operations of foreign SFDs (micrlolights, ultralights, ecolights, etc.) must comply with the provisions of GEN 126.96.36.199 AIP CR.
Arrival, transit and departure must comply with provisions of GEN 1.2.1 AIP CR.
The on-line version of AIP CR is available at http://lis.rlp.cz/ais_data/www_main_control/frm_en_aip.htm.
During any operational flight over the CR territory pilots must respect airspace limitations, published in aeronautical maps, the airspace division, AIP, NOTAM, AUP and similar documents.
Resulting from the law No. 49/1997 of the Coll. (Civil Aviation Law) in actual wording:
Sport Flying Device may be flown by
- the pilot, holder of the valid Pilot Licence with the adequate qualification, or
- the pilot - student on conditions established by the training programme
- Just before the flight, during the flight and just after finishing the flight the pilot or pilot - student must be able to submit folowing valid documents:
- the identity document,
- the Pilot Licence or the Student - pilot document,
- the Airworthiness Certificate of the SFD
- the Third party liability Insurance certificate
- During the SFD operation the pilot or –student-pilot must observe instructions of the Inspector for Operations, Technical inspector or other persons, authorized to execute state supervision according to this Law.
- The medical ability examination ICAO Class II is required for flying with ULLa, ULLt, ULH and ULW
- The valid Third party liability Insurance according to the provisions of the EP and the EC No. 785/2004 of 21. April 2004 must be arranged for ULLa, ULH and ULW categories of SFD.
PK, ZK,ULLt and MPK categories of SFD must posses Third party liability Insurance according to the maximum take-off mass (MTOW).
Min. Assurance limit MTOW
100 000 CZK (cca 3500 EUR) up to 150 kg
500 000 CZK (cca 15 000 EUR) up to 300 kg
1 000 000 CZK (cca 30 000 EUR) up to 450 kg
- Pilot of SFD is reponsible for choosing the route and altitude that would allow safe emergency landing in case of the engine failure of powered SFD or unexpectable loss of altitude with the unpowered SFD.
- For take-offs and landings of SFD in regular operations may be utilized:
- airfields on condition that the Aeronautical Information Publication determines the acceptance of the operation of specific category of SFD on this airfield, or with consent with AFIS or the airfield operator,
- fields, permanently utilized for take-offs and landings of aircraft and determined for this purpose in the local land register / plan documentation or land register decision, with cosnsent of the field apretor or owner and the appropriate municipal authority.
- For occasional take -offs and landings of the powered SFDs and regular or occasional operation of non-powered SFDs any other fields / areas may be utilized on condition, that the owner agrees with this utilization and following conditions are met:
- the area is outside the inhabited area of the locality, in minimum distance 100 m from the housing and during the operation persons, not taking part at the operation, should not be closer than 50 m from the SFD,
- the area is outside the territory of the national park, protected landscape area, natural reserve, natural monument, except the appropriate body of care of natural regions / monuments has agreed with utilizing the area for this purpose, and
- the area is situated outside the zone of hygienic protection of water resources and natural water accumulation areas, except the appropriate waters management authority has agreed with this utilization.
- The supervision of the projection, building, manufacture, repairs and maintenance of SFD and related products, parts and appliances and the supervision of the activity of operators, pilots and other involved persons is carried out by the authorized Inspector of Operations and/or the Technical Inspector.
The Inspector of Operations and the Technical Inspector are authorized in the scope of the supervision of the Sport Flying Devices:
- to require submision of the appropriate documents prescribed for the SFD operation,
- to withhold Technical Certificate of the SFD in case of discovering the fault, negatively affecting the Airworthiness of this SFD, until this fault is removed,
- to prohibit the flight in case, that the flight operation safety, life, health or the property of persons, environment or other legally protected interest is endangered,
- to withhold the Pilot licence, or other licence which proves the special qualification and order the professional verification of the qualification or medical examination of the licence holder in case, that during his activities in SFD operations endangering of the safety of flight operations appeared,
- to withdraw the Pilot licence of the person, that endangered safety of flight operations, infringed the Flight operation rules or the rules of the SFD operation. The licence shall be transferred without undue delay to the authorized person to carry out appropriate measures.
The Technical Inspector is, in the scope of the supervision of the projection, manufacture and repairs of the SFD and further associate products, parts and appliances, also authorized:
- to require submission of all documents concerning the projection and manufacture of the SFD and related products, parts and appliances, namely all calculations, design and manufacture documents and the Building Diary,
- to enter the facilities, where the SFD and associate products, parts and appliances are built or manufactured, to check the used machines, tools and instruments, materials and connecting parts,
- in case of discovered faults in projection require or order to carry out appropriate strenght / stress or other tests and in case of serial manufacture hold up the operation of the formerly manufactured fleet of SFD, if necessary. He is authorized to require or order design modifications or the expert analyzis.
Additional explanatory information
- SSR Responder is the mandatory equipment of:
The exemption may be granted by the appropriate ATC after advanced request
- all powered aeroplanes and baloons at VFR flights above FL 60
- all aircraft at VFR flights within CTR Ruzyně and TMA Prague
- aircraft at training flights on the Ostrava Mošnov aerodrome.
- The flight accidents are reported on UZPLN phone +420 724 300 800 or firstname.lastname@example.org
- The information on civil controlled airfields is contained in AIP Vol.II.
- The information on non – controlled airfields is contained in AIP Vol III.
- The information on the areas suitable for take-offs and landings of SFD is contained in the „Databasis of airfields“
Specific condition for powered SFD operation.
- Preflight briefing. The SFD pilot is responsible before commencing each flight to get acquainted with any accessible informaton necessary for accomplishment of the intended flight. Preflight briefing for the flights outside the airfield circuit area must enclose the carefull analyzis of the wheather situation reports and forecasts, determination of required fuel quantity and planned emergency procedure for the situation, which might endanger the accomplishment of intended flight plan.
- The SFD pilot and crewmembers must not start the flight, if their capability is reduced, namely after consumation of alcoholic drink, the drug or medicine application, fatique, uneasiness, injury or sickness. Using the alcoholic beverages, drugs or the medicines, decreasing the ability to carry out duties of the crewmember before and during the flight is prohibited.. This provision is valid also for other persons on board of the aircraft / SFD, despite of they do not take part on control of the aircraft /SFD.
- In case that the second seat is occupied by the other person than pilot or instructor the SFD pilot must have the SFD pilot-instructor qualification or minimum 50 flight hours on ULL and 5 flight hours solo operations on the particular SFD model. Each person on the board of SFD must be during any phase of the flight fastened by safety belts /harness. The design of the seat and harness must comply with the physical dimension of the particular person to ensure the proper function required by the UL-2 Certification Standard. Before the flight with the other person on board, the SFD pilot must have accomplished minimally 3 take-offs and landings on the particular model within last 90 calender days.
- It is prohibited to apply SFD for:
- any commercial flight activity except covering the training and the hire costs
- dropping any objects during the flight
- acrobacy, when as the acrobatic manoeuvre is considered each pitch change greater than 30° and the bank change greater than 60°,
- night flights, when as the night is considered the period between the end of the formal nightfall and start of formal down or other appropriate time period between nightfall and down, determined by the competent authority.
Specific conditions for the operation of non-powered SFDs.
Safe flight accomplishment
The Pilot is obliged to use the PK/ZK in the manner which avoids situation, that may result in endangering the property, health or human lives.
The Pilot of PK/ZK must before take-off, during the flight and after the flight on the landing area permanently observe the airspace to timely prevent the danger of collision.
Responsibility for observing the rules
The pilot is responsible for carrying out the flight in conformance with the operational rules except that deviation from these rules is absolutely necessary from safety reasons.
The Pilot is responsible for being acquainted with any accessible information dealing with the intended flight (namely the weather conditions / forecast and airspace limitations).
Ability to control the PK/ZK
The Pilot (passenger on two seater PK/ZK) must not start to fly in case, that his ability is decreased e.g. by fatique, sickness, injury, uneasiness or aplication of psychoactive medicaments.
Technical conditions and operation limitations
The pilot must be acquainted with operational and technical data and limitations of the applied PK/ZK, the data on harness and other accessories and observe them according to the actual technical conditions. Pilot must not start the flight with an unairworthy PK/ZK.
The pilot (and passenger on PK/ZK two seater) must wear the head protection helmet and be properly fastened in the harness.
At flights in the height above 300m AGL the pilot (except the pilot-student) must be equipped with the altimeter.
Parachute Rescue System
At flights in the height above 50m AGL in case of PK and 300m AGL in case of ZK the PK/ZK must be equipped with the Parachute Rescue System
On the fields for take-offs and landings of PK/ZK Operational rules may be established. Written Rules must be placarded on the visible place in the take–off /landing site.
Observation of Operational rules
Te pilot is obliged to observe Operational rules, if established for the particular take-off / landing area.
Priority of Emergency rescue services
In case that the emergency rescue helicopter is entering the particular airspace, the SFD pilot must leave this airspace immediately.
Priority of aircraft in emergency
The SFD pilot, informed on the emergency situation of other aircraft, must observe the priority of this aircraft.
Priority of different categories
When the dangerous proximity of the aircraft of different categories may happen, then active passage is mandatory for:
- powered aircraft /SFD heavier than air - to airships, gliders and baloons
- airships - to gliders and baloons
- gliders - to baloons
- powered aircraft /SFD - to aerotows (aircraft / SFDs towing gliders or banners)
The pilot, practising typical acrobatic manoeuvres must observe the priority of any other aircraft.
In case of frontal (or nearly frontal) approach of two gliders, when the danger of collision appears, both pilots must pass by changing their heading to right.
In case of the convergence of two routes in the (nearly) same flight level the priority has the glider approaching from the right.
As the over-taking glider is considered the one, which approches the other from the back at the heading angle less than 700. In this case the priority has the over-taken glider. The over-taking one must pass by changing the heading to the right.
The pilot with priority
The PK/ZK pilot taking the advantage of the priority must continue in flight on the original trajectory. He is nevertheless responsible for practising such measures, that would prevent the danger of possible collision.
The pilot providing the priority
The pilot of PK/ZK, responsible to provide the priority to the other aircraft, must pass in the adequate advance to ensure the sufficient safe distance between both aircraft and to assure the pilot with the priority, that his priority is observed.
Take-off, respectively lifting the parachute canopy upwards, must not start in case of danger of collision with other glider either flying or on ground.
In case of approach of more PK/ZK to the same landing stripe, the pilot of the PK/ZK being higher must provide the priority to the one flying lower. The lower pilot must sink with adequate sinking speed to enable the pilots of PK/ZK, flying higher, to maintain the height distances.
The adequate height distances must be timely ensured during the approach of more PK/ZK to the single landing site, to prepare the order of safe landings.
After each PK/ZK landing the landing strip must be quickly evacuated to allow next PK/ZK landing.
The Rules of flying on winward slopes
Observing the airspace
During the operation on the winward slope the pilot must pay the maximum attention to the surrounding airspace operation. He must be aware of the position of gliders flying in the same level in front of him and in opposite direction.
The gliders fly along the winward slope and the turns are ever executed in the direction „from the slope“. The pilot, having the winward slope on his right hand flies closer to the slope, the other, having the slope on his left hand, maintain „outer“ trajectory.
The priority at winward slope flights
The pilot, having the slope on his right hand takes advantage of the priority to those, having the slope on their left hand.
The pilot of the faster glider overtakes the slower one in such way, that the slower glider remains closer to the winward slope, the faster is more distant from the winward slope. The priority in this case has the slower, overtaken glider.
Dangerous non expected manoeuvres
The pilot must not practise during the flight on the winward slope the unexpected abrupt turns and manoeuvres, which might endanger the other participants or enforce them to do abrupt corrective manoeuvres.
Blocking of take-off area
The pilot of the PK/ZK must not block the take-offs of following PK/ZK by flying in the close proximity of take-off strip, except that such behavior is necessary from the flight safety reasons.
Enforced leaving the winward slope space
In case, that the pilot of PK/ZK cannot maintain the rules for flying on the winward slope, he must leave the winward slope space.
The Rules of circling in thermals
Observing the airspace
The pilot must be aware of the position of each glider, circling with him in the same thermal, in the same flight level and close beneath and above this level.
Flight trajectory at circling
In case of minimally one glider circling, the others entering the same thermal must circle in te same sense around the same axis. The gliders, newly entering the thermal, must engage on the tangential trajectory and must not restrict the yet circling gliders. In case, that the inner trajectory of circling is fully occupied, the entering glider may circle in this level in the same direction, but on the considerably greater circling radius as long as the inner trajectory enables safe falling in.
Faster climbing gliders
The pilot of the PK/ZK with the lower rate of climb must adapt his circling trajectory in such way, that enables the glider with higher rate of climb the safe continuing in climb without circling corrections.
Dangerous non expected manoeuvres
The pilot must not practise during thermal circling the unexpected abrupt turns and manoeuvres, which might endanger the other participants or enforce them to do abrupt corrective manoeuvres.
Enforced leaving the thermal
In case, that the pilot of PK/ZK cannot maintain any of the preceeding requirements, he must leave the thermal.